Monday, August 1, 2011

Wedded in Michigan I Will Be!

So yesterday I talked about where the Blisses will be wed. Michigan is a perfect state for us because of the weather and the beauty of nature. There are hundreds of homes to choose from each more beautiful than the last. After narrowing it down to about fifty places that had our must-haves I started looking more in-depth. Many had obvious neighbors which means no loud music. Others were very small even with four bedrooms and others were way more than I wanted to pay. After going through the fifty vacation homes I have narrowed it down to my top three. And here they are!



Eagles Wings Lodge
This lodge is very close to an airport. At one mile that is just a little bit too close. The price is in the middle, but still fairly low at $2,400 a week. All of the homes have five bedrooms so this really isn't a factor, but the rooms are tiny. There is only one picture of the outside. It concerns me, I can't tell if there is any flat ground in which to have a ceremony! Nonetheless, pretty pictures!

Gorgeous! Its in the master bathroom so no one but us would ever see it!

Again, beautiful, but not very large.

The view.
River Woods Lodge
 This lodge is about an hour outside of Detroit, which I am assuming is the nearest airport. The lodge is secluded and looks to have nice sized bedrooms. There is a gorgeous stone fire place in the living room. The kitchen looks huge with its stainless steel appliances. There is a darling little pond that would be amazing for the ceremony. It being on 20 acres means we could let the music go as loud as we could want. This biggest downfall to this particular lodge is the fact that it is $3,000 a week. Is it six hundred dollars better than the last lodge? I think so. Is it seven hundred dollars better than the next one? Mmm, I'm not so sure about that.
How about that for rustic whimsy??

The crazy awesome kitchen.

I would love a portrait in front of that fireplace.

Old Dutch Mill
The Escanaba Airport is 20 miles away which is also where many of the hotels would be situated. While the bedrooms don't seem huge the common rooms seem massive. The kitchen is fairly big with a dining room table that seats 18 people. Can you say buffet? On this forty acre tract of land there is plenty of space for tents, ceremony in the woods, eating, and dancing space. Along the back edge of the lodge there is an 80 foot deck facing the river. It just may be perfect for the cocktail hour. It is nice to have on-site laundry, the outside fire pit, fire place inside, hot tub, piano, Foosball, and pool table. They even have a tent, 10 tables, and 60 chairs for use. I honestly can't think of anything that is not good about this place. To top it off it is the cheapest option at $2,300 a week.
So pretty. It looks SO huge!

The massive kitchen/dining room/living area. Do you see the beast fire place at the end?

The lovely entrance.
I'll give you one guess as to which one I've picked. If you didn't pick the Old Dutch Mill you're crazy. We love it so much that we've decided we will stick around for an extra week after everyone has gone and call it our honeymoon. Double score - rooms for us and our families, rehearsal, ceremony, and reception venue, AND honeymoon accommodations for two weeks all for $4,600. That sounds like a deal to me, doesn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Very Pretty places I am a country girl so the lodges give that country rustic charm that I so love... And your honeymoon is going to be for two weeks wow.. I wish..lol..But the places are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, sort of two weeks, sort of not. I figured we get there a week before the wedding and set up then the week following would be the honey moon. I like the idea of a whole week to set up (especially doing so much DIY and all of the food myself) so we won't feel so rushed. Nonetheless, two weeks off of work in a row? Can't wait lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say the second place, but I totally agree with the 3rd that you picked! You can get great pics of people playing games, by the fireplace, and easily fit everyone in. I think its great, and for the price,you can't beat it!! I wish we would have done something like that...

    ReplyDelete