Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Unifying or Dominant Idea, Motif, Etc.

That's right, readers! Its Theme Day! I've had this blog for two plus months and never once mentioned what kind of wedding we are having. Or well, wanting to have. I'm kind of a terrible blogger, I know this. Anyways, to the subject at hand. Theme. I know wedding is a theme, but I really hate that idea. I wanted an idea or motif to tie the whole thing in together. When I was still an angst ridden waiting girl I was really gung-ho about an Asian and swan themed wedding. Origami folded swans for place cards, Chinese fighting fish for centerpieces, and everything was going to be red and gold. I have no idea why I was so enthralled with this plan. Neither I nor Mr. Bliss is Asian. We love anime (Olivier Armstrong is my favorite if you must know.) and love reading about samurai. Nonetheless, I wanted paper lanterns and I would have them.
Major General Armstrong. This really has nothing to do with the post. I just love her- my total anime girl crush.



There was only one major problem with this theme. Mr. Bliss said he wasn't going to get married without a top hat on his head. Asian and top hats? I just couldn't see it. And a lot of people find it creepy to eat with a fish in front of their faces. That theme crumbled fairly quickly. As soon as we got engaged I started thinking about themes that could lend themselves easily to a man in a top hat. And the outdoors. Mr. Bliss said he wanted to keep the color combination. Early on I was thinking vintage English garden. It was almost there, but not quite. It wasn't until I came across a few of these types of pictures to know exactly what I wanted.
Yummy Michigan wedding!

Double Yum
Its so preeeetty! And outdoorsy! And whimsical! And and and I want it!!! I want it so much. In this post I talked about the venue which really kicks this whole theme off. It will be magnificent to say our vows in the middle of the forest under the tall, tall trees. I think I will call our theme Vintage Rustic Woodsy Whimsical Smoosh Face Party of a Lifetime. Got that?

Ivory, Old Gold, Scarlet, Venetian Gold, Bone
We are sticking with the colors with a few slight changes. We will be going with the 60-30-10 rule with our colors. Sixty percent of the color will be shades of ivory to bone, thirty percent will be shades of pale gold to deep gold, and then ten percent will be pops of scarlet. We would both love to do green, but since my first wedding consisted of green and silver its definitely out. (Have I mentioned yet that I'm an encore bride?) Either way, I love this color combo. Its so warm and inviting without being BAM in your face.

I <3 Chickadees!
As far as our motif or icon or brand or what have you I really liked the idea of birds. Not just any birds though, Audubon birds and the chickadee in particular. These little poofs of cuteness will be gracing our paper products, most likely dessert toppers, and who knows what else. If I'm super lucky perhaps one will show up on my wedding day.

I feel like this post is getting a little long so I will leave you with this small inspiration board I made up for The Bliss Theme.

  1. Hair Inspiration
  2. Vests!
  3. Forest Vows
  4. A Sea of Mason Jars
  5. And Seas of Baby's Breath
  6. Same Chickadee as Above

No comments:

Post a Comment